Surprisingly easy to make, fortune cookies are a tasty and lighter way to end a meal rather than with heavy petit fours. Also, there is a lot of fun to be had making up silly saying. Mine included such great sayings as –
‘Never admit defeat. Unless failure arouses the cute girl in accounts’
‘You have been googled recently’
‘Only the faithless wife hears the hippos cough’
I do love a good African saying. It makes no sense to those of us in Europe but sounds rather intimidating.
You have to work pretty fast but they are very satisfying to make. I have been warned about deviating from the recipe but I did so without issue (substituted cinnamon for ginger due to my stupid allergy)
Still holding the the folded cookie in both hands, between your thumb and index fingers, pull the ends down over the rim of a glass or a muffin tin, or the handle of a wooden spoon, until the ends meet. The opened side of the fortune cookie should be facing upward, towards you.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tea spoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons water
2. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg white, vanilla extract, almond extract and vegetable oil until frothy, but not stiff.
3. Sift the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar into a separate bowl. Stir the water into the flour mixture.
4. Add the flour into the egg white mixture and stir until you have a smooth batter. The batter should not be runny, but should drop easily off a wooden spoon.