I hesitate to call any food healthy these days. Everyone’s idea of what is healthy is dependant on whether they’re part of the low fat brigade or the low carb brigade. The only thing that everyone agrees is healthy is SALAD. I quite like a nice salad but I certainly don’t want to live off of it for the rest of my life. Dull dull dull. Even if you use different types of lettuce every day.
So it was rather nice to have a pie that pretty much everyone would call healthy. And there we have it, the money shot. Pie. Chicken with loads of veggies, low in carbs and low in fat. Nice lean chicken and fresh veg.
2 tablespoons Cornflour
300 ml Milk (I used skimmed)
2 medium cubed chicken breast
100 g cubed carrots , mushrooms, sweetcorn, broccoli – basically anything you can get your hands on
2 sheet(s) Pastry, Filo, Raw, 2 sheets (25cm/10 inches square)
seasoning / herbs / spices
* Preheat the oven to 200°C
* Make a white sauce by blending the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of the milk. Heat the rest of the milk and then stir in the cornflour paste. Stir as the sauce thickens and cooks.
* Spray a non-stick frying-pan with cooking spray and stir-fry the chicken until cooked and beginning to brown, I coated them in paprika first.
* Mix together the chicken, sauce and vegetables. Add seasoning – I used about half a teaspoon of crushed black pepper, some dried thyme and oregano. Transfer to a pie dish.
* Season and cover with the 2 sheets of filo, giving each sheet a quick squirt with the low-fat cooking spray. )Or just use some butter) Crumple up the sheet edges around the pie dish. Cut two slits in the top and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a-light golden brown colour.
Yeah, I had it with loads of salad. It was obligatory really. Also it means, that I achieved 9 portions of vegetables today. Woo ya. This is a great achievement.
Also, how often do cars catch alight on the M4 these days? It seems to happen every time I drive on it. Spooky co-incidence or are cars just having vehicle fires more often?